Tuesday 11 January 2011

Field Mice

You know those bird feeders that have the suction pads to put on windows, we bought a couple when the snow came down to sustain the birds in the garden and fitted them to the kitchen windows.

The field mice have found them, the little scallywags.

Also watched the BBC Royal Institute lecture by Mark Miodownik "Size Matters"

You may be wondering what the connections is, and I don't blame you!

Well, creatures that walk up vertical surfaces or even ceilings, such as geckos, have feet pads covered in tiny hairs that grip into surface irregularities.  Do field mice have feet like that?  Otherwise, how do they get to my bird feeders that are situated 8 feet above the ground and centred in a window?  I am seriously impressed by them, although I guess the birds are not.

And, how do I stop them 'cos I am sure the birds would prefer to eat their food uncontaminated from mice pee.

No comments:

Post a Comment