Thursday 30 June 2011

Dahlia jobs in July

All plants should be growing well now and showing signs of budding up, indeed, some will be showing colour.

Now is the time  to place all plants being kept for pot tubers in the garden frame.  If at all dry, and we are certainly not! start watering to prevent the newly growing shoots from hardening.

Keep hoeing in order to keep weed free and to keep the soil from becoming panned; this aerates the ground and enables the roots to 'breathe'.  Dis-bud shoots as soon as buds are large enough to handle.  For full details dis-budding techniques see the web site "How to Grow" pages.

After hoeing mulch around the plants as this will not only allow nutrients to trickle into the soil but will also retain moisture and keep weed growth down.

Keep the outdoor hygiene programme going to prevent disease and pests.

1 comment:

  1. It's my first time to grow dahlia flowers, although I've been a dahlia lover for quite a long time already. I got my set of dahlia tubers from a clean and well-organized selection at Lynch Creek Dahlias, and decided to try them right in my yard. Well, they appear fine. I see some signs of budding. Right now, I'm looking for some dahlia growing tips that will allow them to have bushier flowers. Do you have some up in your sleeves?

    ReplyDelete