Sunday 16 January 2011

Starting off

2011 season has now really started.  My tubers are now set down in trays, lightly covered in a light, peat-like,  all purpose compost, watered and slugs "fed".
As you will notice the slugs have been "fed" with regular pellets.  A couple of years ago I did try organic slug treatments but they simply loved it and destroyed all the first growth shoots; never again.  As a matter of interest, I also tried organic rooting compounds; no good at all, it just did not work.  So, I'm back to Seradix / Strike, it does work.  Last year I spoke with one of the assistants at the local garden centre and commented about rooting compounds.  He told me they had largely withdrawn the organic as it didn't work but kept some on the shelves for those who really wanted to use it.

If you look closely you will see that the tubers in the right hand tray are already showing growth.  Pontiac, in my view, is one of the easiest dahlias to propagate, it always sprouts quickly, always roots easily and is very prolific.

I expect to start to take cuttings in three weeks time, some good sunny weather would be good as good daylight always helps stimulate the production of shoots and the rooting of the cuttings.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment